"CLIPPENS-SQUARE, village in Kilbarchan parish, Renfrewshire. Pop. 674."
From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.
"Balaklava", a village on the E border of Kilbarchan parish, Renfrewshire, 1 mile NNE of Johnstone. It was founded in 1856, on the lands of Clippens, for working extensive ironstone mines, and received its name from the celebrated battle of the Crimean War. It is sometimes called Clippens Square. Pop. (1891) 428.
From Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland.