"ERSKINE, parish, and the hamlets of Blackstown and Easter Rossland. Its length is 6¾ miles; its greatest breadth 3½ miles; its area 7535 acres. Real property in 1880-81, £19,602. Pop., quoad civilia, 1655; quoad sacra, 1073. The land adjacent to the Clyde is flat and fertile; the ground behind on south side of the Clyde in Renfrewshire. It lies opposite Dumbarton Castle, and contains the post-office villages of Langbank and Bishopton that makes considerable ascent; and a pleasant hill-ridge occupies most of the western section. Erskine House, the seat of Lord Blantyre, is a beautiful Tudor edifice of 1828, and has, on an eminence within its grounds, a lofty obeliskal monument of the eleventh Lord Blantyre. Other seats are Dargavel, Rossland, and Eastbank. Erskine ferry, on the Clyde, serves for both pedestrians and carriages. The churches are Established, Free, and United Presbyterian. Thre schools for 336 scholars are in the parish, and one of them and class-rooms for 167 are new."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]