Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Trefilan - Extract from 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' by Samuel Lewis 1833

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Trefilan - Extract from 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' by Samuel Lewis 1833

"TRÊVILAN (TRÊV-ILAR), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of ILAR, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 7 miles (N. by W.) from Lampeter, containing 313 inhabitants. This parish is pleasantly situated in the Vale of Aëron and on the high road from Lampeter to Aberystwith. The surrounding country is boldly varied, and the scenery is in some parts picturesque. In the southern part of the parish is the small village of`Talsarn, deriving its name from a branch of a Roman road or causeway which terminated here, and which is situated on the bank of the river Aëron .Fairs are held at this village on September 8th and November 7th. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St.David's, rated in the king's books at £5, endowed with £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church is dedicated to St. Hilary, from whom the parish is supposed to have derived the name  Trêv-Ilar, said to be its proper appellation. The old church, having fallen into a state of dilapidation, was taken down in 1806, and rebuilt : the present church is a neat edifice, consisting of a nave and chancel, but of much smaller dimensions than the original building : the ancient font, a square basin upon around pillar, has been preserved. A Sunday school for the gratuitous instruction of poor children is supported at the expense of the rector. Near the churchyard is a mound surrounded by a moat, called Castle Trêvilan supposed to be the site of a fortress of that name, which was begun by Maelgwyn ab Rhys and completed by his son Maelgwyn Vychan, in the year 1233. Here is a strongly impregnated chalybeate spring, which is occasionally resorted to for medicinal purposes. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to £82.13."

[Gareth Hicks: 17 December 1999]