Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Kelly's Directory - South Wales 1895

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Kelly's Directory - South Wales 1895

The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (November 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading.  (Archive CD Books) .
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.


Is a parish and village, on the river, Amman, in the Eastern division of the county of Carmarthen, 1 mile north from Pantyffynnon Junction station on the Llanelly and Llandovery branch of the Great Western railway, 7 1/2 south of Llandilofawr and 7 north-by-east from Pontardulas, in the hundred of Iscennen, petty sessional division and county court district of Llandilo, union of Llandilofawr, rural deanery of Llandilo, archdeaconry of Carmarthen, and diocese of St. Davids.

The church of St. David is a plain edifice of stone, consisting of a chancel with aisles, nave, aisle, porch, and a turret containing one bell: there are 130 sittings. The register dates from the year 1706. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge £300, net income £240, with 50 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St. Davids, and held since 1882 by the Rev. Evan Lloyd M.A. of Jesus College, Oxford.

Christ church, Cwmamman, is an ecclesiastical parish formed. in 1843 out of five adjacent parishes: the church is a plain edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave and a turret containing one bell: it was restored in 1878 at a cost of £505, and affords 400 sittings. The living is a vicarage, net income £300, with 10 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of St. Davids, and held since 1891 by the Rev. Evan Lloyd, of St. David's College, Lampeter.

There are Welsh Methodist and Baptist chapels.

Maesquarre is the seat of John L. Williams esq. The Earl Cawdor is lord of the manor. The principal landowners  are Lord Dynevor and John L. Williams esq.

The chief crops are roots with some pasturage.The area is 6,511 acres, of which 52 are water ; rateable value, £6,256 ; the population in 1891 was 2,417 in the civil and  831 in the ecclesiastical parish. The population of Cwmamman ecclesiastical parish in 1891 was 5,403.

Letters should be addressed Glanamman R.S.O. Carmarthenshire. The nearest post & money order office is at Glanamman, & telegraph office at Garnant

Bettws is under the Llandilofawr School Board, & has 3 schools in the parish

Board School (mixed), Bettws, for 160 children ; average attendance, 120

Board (mixed), Brynlloi, for 220 children; average attendance, 170

National (mixed), Garnant, for 160 children ; average attendance, 120


  • Collard, Samuel; Pontamman
  • Lloyd, Rev. Evan M.A. ; The Vicarage
  • Williams, John L. ; Maesquarre


  • Anthony, Jn. ; Half Moon P.H. Garnant
  • Benyon, John Lloyd, farmer, Sir Eleanor, Morgan
  • Bevan, Evan, frmr. ; Cwmcathan-uchaf
  • Bevan, Samuel, farmer; Llwyndu
  • Davies, Arthur G., ironmonger; Garnant
  • Davies, David, farmer; Cwmcathan-isaf
  • Davies, David, shopkeeper; Garnant
  • Davies, Thos.;  Colliers' Arms P.H.Garnant
  • Dole, James; Globe P.H. Garnant
  • Evans, David, frmr. ; Blaennant y cadno
  • Evans, Rhydderch. farmer; Glynmoch
  • Garnant Tin Plate Co. Limited (The), (John Thomas, proprietor)
  • Gelliceidrim Colliery Co. (The) Lim
  • George, David, farmer; Gorslydan
  • Glanamman, Tin Plate Co. Lim. (The)
  • Griffiths, George, farmer;  Pentwyn
  • Griffiths, Herbert, farmer; Plasybettws
  • Harries, Howell, farmer; Nantricket
  • Harries, John; Mount Pleasant P.H
  • Hicks, John; Salutation P.H
  • Hopkins, William, farmer; Twllgwyn
  • Hughes, Geo. farmer; Gwndwnmawr
  • Jenkins, John, farmer; Tyisaf
  • Jenkins, Lewis, ironmonger
  • Jenkins, Richard;  Prince Albert P.H.Garnant
  • Jones, Benjamin, farmer; Brynhynydd
  • Jones, Howel, farmer; Hafodwenol
  • Jones, Isaac, farmer; Llwchisawel
  • Jones, John, shopkeeper
  • Jones, John, farmer; Hendryd
  • Jones, John, farmer; Llwynyronen
  • Jones, John, farmer; Penllech
  • Jones, Joseph, farmer; Glyncwarch
  • Lewis, Edwd. farmer; Gorsygarnant
  • Lewis, John, farmer; Gellyfawr
  • Michael, Charles shopkeeper; Garnant
  • Michael, Thomas, shopkeeper; Garnant
  • Morgan, Daniel, farmer; Pantybettws
  • Morgan, David, farmer; Maesllech
  • Morgan, Jonathan frmr. ; Bodist-uchaf
  • Morgan, Joseph, frmr. ; Bwlchymynydd
  • Morgan, Thomas, farmer; Bodist-isaf
  • Parry, William, farmer; Cilyradar
  • Phillips, Job, shopkeeper
  • Price, Charles, farmer; Tynydomen
  • Price, Thomas, shopkeeper; Garnant
  • Rees, Evan, stonemason; Belle vue
  • Rees, Joseph; Raven P.H. Garnant
  • Rees, Phillip, shopkeeper
  • Rees, Stephen, farmer; Lletherlanfawr
  • Richards, Morgan, shopkpr.; Ynysceffyl
  • Thomas, Daniel, farmer; Tymawr
  • Thomas, Thomas, farmer; Bryncam
  • Thomas, Thomas, shopkeeper; Garnant
  • Walters, Evan, farmer; Maesybettws
  • Williams, Aaron; Cross Keys P.H.
  • Williams, Rees, farmer; Gelliceidrim

[Gareth Hicks: 24 November 2003]