Primary tabs

"A parish in the Union of Ruthin, partly in the hundred of Maelor, county of Flint, but chiefly in that of Yale, county of Denbigh; 4½ miles (E by S) from Ruthin, containing 1475 inhabitants. The village is pleasantly situated on the river Alyn. ..... Throughout the vale in which the village is situated, and on every neighbouring eminence, are numerous tumuli, of which several have been opened at various times, and found to contain sepulchral urns filled with ashes, with human bones, which had resisted the action of the fire, scattered about them in profusion." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]

The ancient parish comprised the township of Bodidris (in Flintshire), and the Denbighshire townships of Bodigre yr Iarll, Bodigre yr Abbot, Chwileriog, Gelligynan, Creigiog Uwch Glan, Creigiog Isglan, Alltgymbyd, Trellan, Banhadlen, Cyfnant, Gwaunyffynnon, and Erryrys; with a total area of 11,651 acres.
However, portions of Erryrys, Cyfnant and Gwaunyffynnon went to the newly created parish of Eryrys in 1861.
By an Order in Council, gazetted on 11 March 1887, part of the parish of Llanarmon yn Iâl was transferred to the parish of Llandegla. Archdeacon Thomas defines the area transferred thus :
"That portion of Llanarmon lying south of a line drawn from Pont Ystyllod through Rhos Isa and Perthichwareu, and taking in also a portion of Bodidris township (including the Hall)and the Gwernoliaid, as far as Llyn Maelor."



  •  Pritchard., T W.  The Parish Church of St. Garmon, Llanarmon yn Ial, Clwyd.    [s.l.] : (The Church?), (1985)

Church History

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Llanarmon-Yn-Iâl. St Garmon      Ordnance Survey reference SJ 191562.
The church, which is dedicated to Bishop Garmon (or Germanus), was mentioned in the Lincoln Taxation of 1291; but it is believed that there has been a church on this spot since the Fifth century. The church was partially rebuilt in 1736; and renovated in 1870 and again in 1906.

The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.

Church of St Garmon - on the Medieval Wales site

Nonconformist Churches

"Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civil parish of Llanarmon yn Iâl :

Name of Chapel Denomination Number of "adherents"
Maesydroell Calvinistic Methodists 59
Rhiw Iâl Calvinistic Methodists 200
Graianrhyd Congregationalists 192
Philadelphia Congregationalists 90
Bethesda Wesleyans 90
Salem Wesleyans 165
Tabor Wesleyans 38

Church Records

Parish Registers

  • The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
    They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
    These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
Baptisms Marriages Burials
1683 - 1943 1676 - 1969 1677 - 1937
  • Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
Baptisms Marriages Burials
1683 - 1812 1767 - 1812 1683 - 1812

Bishop's Transcripts

  • Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
    Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by the LDS; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of the LDS.
    The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
    In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
Deposited at the National Library of Wales Microfilmed copies
1666 - 1851 1667 - 1836


  • The following have been incorporated into the I.G.I., as part of an "official extraction" programme.
    They were extracted from the Bishop's Transcripts, not from the Parish Registers.
Baptisms Marriages
1730 - 1836 (88% extraction) None

Civil Registration

When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llanarmon yn Iâl was assigned to the No. 1 ("Llanarmon") sub-district of the Ruthin Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Ruthin poor law Union.

In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llanarmon yn Iâl are in the format :

  • Years 1837 - 1851: Ruthin XXVII. nnn
  • Years 1851 - 1930: Ruthin 11b. nnn

(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)


Description and Travel

Llanarmon yn Ial - community site

Llanarmon yn Ial - on wikipedia

Various landscapes  - on the People's Collection Wales site

You can see pictures of Llanarmon-yn-Ial which are provided by:



The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llanarmon-yn-Ial to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llanarmon-yn-Ial has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • In 1831- the population was 1568.
  • In 1901- the population was 534.
    [ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]


  • Archdeacon Thomas gives the area of the parish as 11,651 acres, before the creation of the new parish of Eryrys in 1861.
    [ The History of the Diocese of St. Asaph , 1908-1913, Ven. D.R. Thomas]