Primary tabs

"A parish in the Union and hundred of Ruthin, county of Denbigh, 3 miles (NNW) from Ruthin, containing 115 inhabitants. This parish is pleasantly situated nearly in the centre of the fertile and picturesque Vale of Clwyd. It is only of inconsiderable extent, but in the beauty of its situation, and the richness and variety of the surrounding scenery, it is not inferior to any spot of the same extent in this part of the principality. The lands are all enclosed and in a high state of cultivation, and the soil is tolerably fertile." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]

The parish of Llanychan contains only one township, namely Rhydellteyrn.
It is a very small parish, being less than one square mile in extent.



  • Book of reference to the plan of the Parish of Llanychan (Hundred of Ruthin) in the county of Denbigh : Major-General Sir Henry James, Director-General of the Ordnance Survey.   London : Eyre & Spottiswoode for H.M.S.O., 1875.
  • Williams, David.   Ty Gwyn, Llanychan       Hel achau, No. 55 (Feb. 1998), p. 18-19

Church History

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of St Hychan's Church Ordnance Survey reference SJ 114621.
The church was founded in the fifth century by St. Hychan. It was mentioned in the Norwich Taxation of 1254. It was restored in 1877 / 1878, and was re-opened on 28 February 1878.

The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.

Nonconformist Churches

Nonconformist places of worship for Llanychan were included in the "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"under the Civil administrative district of Llangynhafal. Details will be found on the parish page for Llangynhafal


Church Records

Parish Registers

  • The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
    They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
    These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
Baptisms Marriages Burials
1696 - 1991 1696 - 1970 1696 - 1991
  • Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
Baptisms Marriages Burials
1677 - 1813 1677 - 1812 1676 - 1812

Bishop's Transcripts

  • Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
    Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by the LDS; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of the LDS.
    The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
    In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
Deposited at the National Library of Wales Microfilmed copies
1676 - 1862 1813 - 1862


  • There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. Hychan's, Llanychan.

Civil Registration

When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llanychan was assigned to the No. 2 ("Ruthin") sub-district of the Ruthin Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Ruthin poor law Union.

In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llanychan are in the format :

  • Years 1837 - 1851: Ruthin XXVII. nnn
  • Years 1851 - 1930: Ruthin 11b. nnn

(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)


Description and Travel

Llanychan - on wikipedia

You can see pictures of Llanychan which are provided by:



The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llanychan to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llanychan has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • In 1831- the population was 115.
  • In 1901- the population was 85.
    [ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]


  • Archdeacon Thomas gives the area of the parish as 567 acres.
    [ The History of the Diocese of St. Asaph , 1908-1913, Ven. D.R. Thomas]