In 1868, the parish of Llanychan contained the following places:
"LLANYCHAN, a parish in the hundred of Ruthin, county Denbigh, 3 miles N. of Ruthin, its post town, and 5 S.E. of Denbigh. It is a well-cultivated spot on the banks of the river Clwyd. The parish is of small extent, and wholly agricultural. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £170, in the patronage of the bishop, who is lord of the manor. The church is dedicated to St. Hychan."