Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Llay

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.


Primary tabs

"A hamlet, in that part of the parish of Gresford which is in the hundred of Bromfield, county of Denbigh; 5 miles (N by W) from Wrexham; containing 539 inhabitants. It is situated near the left bank of the river Alyn, and on the border of Flintshire. ..... Offa's Dyke passes between the township and the river." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]

Llay became a parish of the Church in Wales on 13 December 1944. It was formed from the township of Llay, and parts of the townships of Burton, Gresford, and Marford & Hoseley, which, until then, been in the parish of Gresford.



  • Llay village trail with brief history & photographs of Llay Main Colliery / produced by the Clwyd County Planning and Estates Department in association with the Llay Women's Institute.   Clwyd County Council, [1988]
  • Nicholson, Arthur D.    Explosion at the Llay Main Colliery, Wrexham, Denbighshire       London : HMSO , 1925        
  • Tilston, Jeremy.   The Tilston family of Llay smithy (1661-1991). Part 1, 1661-1704      Hel achau, 36 (1992), p. 2-5.        
  • Tilston, Jeremy.   The Tilston family of Llay smithy (1661-1991). Part 2, 1704-1842      Hel achau, No. 37 (1992), p. 13-17
  • Tilston, Jeremy.  The Tilston family of Llay smithy (1661-1991). Part 3, 1840-1991       Hel achau, No. 39 (1993), p. 8-10

Church History

Ordnance Survey reference SJ 333557.
The first services at Llay were held in the "Mission Hut" on 9 January 1916. The foundation stone of the new church, which is dedicated to St. Martin, was laid on Sunday, 11 November 1923, and the church was consecrated on Saturday, 21 February 1925.

The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.

Nonconformist Churches

"Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" did not list any nonconformist places of worship in the Civil parish of Llay.


Church Records

Parish Registers

  • The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
    They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, at the A.N. Palmer Library, Wrexham, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
    These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
  • Baptisms which took place at the Mission Church before 21 February 1925 have been entered into the baptism registers for Gresford.
Baptisms Marriages Burials
1925 - 1961 1925 - 1971 None

Bishop's Transcripts

  • There are no Bishop's Transcripts for St. Martin's, Llay.


  • There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. Martin's, Llay.

Civil Registration

The new parish of Llay was assigned to the Wrexham Registration District.

In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llay are in the format :

  • Years 1837 - 1851: Wrexham XXVII. nnn
  • Years 1851 - 1930: Wrexham 11b. nnn

(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)


Description and Travel

Llay - on wikipedia

You can see pictures of Llay which are provided by:



The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llay to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llay has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



Llay Main Colliery and Llay Hall Colliery - on the Welsh Coalmines site


Various items   -  on the People's Collection Wales site

  • Llay Main Colliery Company Ltd. Miner's lamp and pay tally pre-1947 
  • Prime Minister's letter to Joe Parry ; Joe Parry and Bill Partington were awarded a silver leaf for bravery in rescuing George Williams, trapped by a roof fall at Llay Main Colliery in 1952  
  • Llay Main Colliery Clock
  •  Portrait; John Henry (Jack) Hammerton was the day enginewright at Llay Main. In June 1951 his life story appeared in 'Coal' magazine.
  • 1910 Drilling Core sample Llay Main Colliery
  • Llay Hall Colliery [building]