"In the hamlet of Golftyn a large quay and pier have been constructed, within the last few years, by the Irish Coal Company, and vessels sail regularly from this place for Liverpool, London, and Dublin, and the ports of North Wales. A very large ale and porter brewery, the first of the kind established in this county, was erected in the hamlet of Kelsterton, in the year 1818, and is conducted upon a very extensive scale and with great advantage to the proprietors: from this establishment part of the city of Chester, and this and the adjoining counties are supplied." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, S. Lewis, 1834]
The town of Connah's Quay began to develop some two hundred years ago, on the banks of the estuary of the River Dee, in the parish of Northop. By the mid-Victorian period, it had become a busy port, with a thriving ship-building industry.
The precise identity of "Connah" remains uncertain, despite considerable activity by researchers. The parish registers of the adjacent parish of Hawarden have entries for Connah (under various spellings) dating from the sixteenth century - it is generally believed that there is a connection.
The new parish of Connah's Quay was created on 31 January 1844, from the townships of Wepre, Golftyn, Kelsterton, Leadbrook Major and Leadbrook Minor (all formerly in the parish of Northop).
In 1872, the townships of Leadbrook Major and Leadbrook Minor were transferred to the parish of Flint.