LLANASAPH

In 1868, the parish of Llanasaph contained the following places:

"LLANASAPH, (or Llanasa), a parish in the hundred of Prestatyn, county Flint, 6 miles N.E. of Dyserth, and 6 N.W. of Holywell, its post town. It is situated on the W. bank, and near the mouth of the river Dee, in the vicinity of Offa's Dyke. The Chester and Holyhead railway passes through the neighbourhood. Corseddau, or Llanasa Hill, is an eminence about 700 feet high, with a signal tower on its summit. The parish includes the townships of Axton, Picton, and several others. The people are mostly employed in the quarries, coal, iron, and lead mines, which abound in this locality. The workhouse of the Holywell Poorlaw Union is in this parish. At the point of Ayr, near the mouth of the river Dee, is a lighthouse containing two fixed lights, one 49 feet above high-water mark, which can be seen at the distance of 11 miles in clear weather; and the other light, intended for the navigation of vessels over the sands, only 12 feet above the water. The tithes were commuted in 1839. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £297, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is a commodious edifice rebuilt about the middle of the last century. It is dedicated to SS. Asaph and Kentigern, and has windows of stained glass said to have been brought from Basingwerk Abbey, also several old monuments. There is a school endowment of £22, and other charities, amounting to about £15 per annum. Gyrn, Golden Grove, Talacre, are the principal residences.

"AXTON, a village in the parish of Llanasaph and hundred of Prestatyn, in the county of Flint, North Wales, 6 miles to the E. of Rhuddlan."

"GLANARON, a hamlet in the township of Picton and the parish of Llanasaph, county Flint, North Wales, 5 miles N.E. of Rhyddlan."

"GRONANT, a township in the parish of Llanasaph, county Flint, 5 miles N.E. of Rhyddlan."

"GWESPYR, a township in the parish of Llanasaph, county Flint, 5 miles N.W. of Holywell. It is situated on the banks of the Dec."

"KELSTON, a township in the parish of Llanasaph, county Flint, 5 miles N.W. of Holywell. It is situated at the mouth of the river Dee. There is an extensive brewery."

"PICTON, a township in the parish of Llanasaph, county Flint, 5 miles N.W. of Holywell. It contains Glanrafon."

"TRELOGAN, a township in the parish of Llanasaph, county Flint, 6 miles N.W. of Holywell."

"TREWAELOD, a township in the parish of Llanasaph, county Flint, 7 miles N.W. of Holywell."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018