"Saltney" as a place name is of considerable antiquity, the earliest references dating from the early thirteenth century; in which context it was the name of the broad stretch of marshland, within the parish of Hawarden, which extended some 5 miles from the Wepre Brook (present-day Shotton / Connah's Quay) to the Cheshire border. Following the canalisation of the Dee in 1737, this area was reclaimed, and became fertile farmland.
As a general rule, the many references to "Saltney" in the parish registers of Hawarden, and of its district church, Broughton, apply to the whole of this large area of reclaimed land. The same usage is seen in the Census returns; and, confusingly, it was continued when Civil Parishes were created towards the end of the Nineteenth century.
The area of the present suburb of Saltney, which at first was sparsely populated, was administered for ecclesiastical purposes by the Rector of Hawarden, through the district church of Broughton.
However, in 1855, an accommodation was reached between the parishes of Hawarden and St. Mary on the Hill, Chester; whereby the new parish of Lache-cum-Saltney was created, within the Diocese of Chester. "Formation of Saltney and Lache into a parish of itself, detached from those of Hawarden and St. Mary, Chester :
At the Court of Balmoral, the 24th day of September, 1835 (sic), the Queen's most excellent Majesty in Council. Her Majesty was pleased, by and with the advice of her Privy Council, to order, and it is hereby ordered, that the consolidated chapelry of Lache-cum-Saltney be formed, and that the rights of presentation and nomination to the said church shall belong to and be exercised by the Bishop of the Diocese of Chester for the time being ....
Accordingly, this district henceforth falls under the charge of its own incumbent, receiving an annual payment out of the tithes from the two rectors; all other parochial relations remaining at present undisturbed by this arrangement."[From the Chester Chronicle of 27 October 1855]
"The L. and N.W.R. Co. have now definitely proposed, in reference to their new Colony at Saltney Ferry, that it should be transferred by voluntary agreement between the Rector of Hawarden and the Vicar of Saltney, to the care and supervision of the latter. There is no doubt a great deal to recommend this plan. It has been submitted to the Bishops of St. Asaph and Chester, as well as to the two Incumbents concerned. ..."[From the Hawarden Parish Magazine of September 1891]
Present-day Saltney, as generally perceived, is a suburb of the City of Chester, lying a mile or so to the west of the City centre, and straddling the Flintshire / Cheshire border. This is, however, a relatively recent development, which began in the mid Victorian period.