"An extra-parochial district, said to be partly included in the hundred of Broxton, county of Chester, but chiefly in that of Maelor, county of Flint, 3 miles WSW from Malpas, containing 477 inhabitants. It is surrounded by the parishes of Malpas, Hanmer and Worthenbury, and, until of late years, formed a tract of waste common, which, on account of its extra-parochial exemption from all local jurisdiction, was long the resort of abandoned characters of every description, and especially of women of loose or blemished morals, who made a transient abode here, to be freed clandestinely from the consequences of illicit amours. ..... The inhabitants, considering themselves beyond the reach of all legal authority, opposed, even with force, the execution of the assize and other laws within their precinct. Some years ago, however, a chapel was erected here ....." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, S. Lewis, 1834]
Late Victorian maps show the village of Threapwood as being partly in Flintshire (on the northern border of Maelor Saesneg), and partly in Cheshire. In 1896, under the "County of Chester (Threapwood) Order", the county boundary, which passes through the village, was adjusted slightly in favour of Cheshire.
The ecclesiastical parish of Threapwood was formed in 1817, from parts of the parishes of Worthenbury, in Flintshire, and Malpas, in Cheshire.
It was initially in the diocese of Chester, but was transferred to the diocese of St. Asaph, by an Order in Council, on 30 July 1849.
By order of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, it was transferred back to the diocese of Chester on 22 April 1920, shortly after the disestablishment of the Church in Wales.
An Order in Council, dated 26 August 1968, states :
"The area comprising the extra-parochial place of Threapwood shall become and be a separate and distinct parish for ecclesiastical purposes" Full details of the village and parish are to be found on the GENUKI Cheshire pages.