WHITFORD

In 1868, the parish of Whitford contained the following places:

"WHITFORD, a parish in the hundred of Coleshill, county Flint, 3 miles N.W. of Holywell. The parish, situated on Offa's Dyke, near the river Dee and the Chester and Holyhead railway, which has stations at Holywell and Mostyn, includes the township of Whitford-Garn; Mostyn Hall, the seat of Lord Mostyn; Bychton, the original seat of the Pennants; Downing, a seat of the Earl of Denbigh; Ucha, of the Griffiths; and the hamlets of Eden Owen, Is Glan, Uwch Glan, Tre-Abbot, and Tre-Llan, where is situated the parish church. The population in 1861 was 3,666. The subsoil yields abundance of coal, which is worked under the sea, limestone, lead, copper, zinc, calamine, chert, and freestone. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £400, besides a sinecure rectory, value £740, both in the. gift of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. Near Mynyddy-Garreg are a Roman tower, and a pillar cross 12 feet high. The charities produce £140 per annum."

"BYCHTON, a township in the parish of Whitford, hundred of Coleshill, in the county of Flint, North Wales, 2 miles from Holywell."

"EDEN-OWEN, a township in the parish of Whitford, county Flint, 3 miles N.W. of Holywell."

"GLAN IS and GLAN UWCH, townships in the parish of Whitford, county Flint, 3 miles N.W. of Holywell."

"THE LLAN, a township in the parish of Whitford, hundred of Coleshill, county Flint, 3 miles N.W. of Holywell."

"TRE-ABBOT, a township in the parish of Whitford, county Flint, 3 miles N.W. of Holywell."

"TRE-MOSTYN, a township in the parish of Whitford, county Flint, 3 miles N.W. of Holywell. It is situate on the Holyhead railway and river Dee, and is a subport to Chester."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018