"BRITON FERRY, in the Cwmwd of Rhwng Nedd ac Afan, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Neath), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Curacy, not in charge: Patron, Lord Vernon: Church dedicated to St. Mary. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 188. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £72..12..2, at 8s. in the pound. It is 2 1/2 m. S. from Neath. It is beautifully situate at the upper part of the Bay of Swansea, from whence there is a Ferry to that Town. Here is a Free School. According to the Diocesan Report, in 1809, the yearly value of this Benefice, arising from Stipends, and Augmentation, was £72..16..8. Here is the fine Seat of The Right Honourable Lord Vernon. The Sea breezes from the Bristol Channel, according to Mr. Wyndham, have no influence over the verdure of the Trees on this Southern Coast, which flourish as well here as in the more inland parts. This Parish contains about 700 acres of inclosed land, and 300 acres which are not inclosed; the whole of which belongs to Lord Vernon. The greatest part of this Parish formerly belonged to the Abbey of Neath, and the remainder to the Earl of Pembroke."
From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.