"COLWINSTON, or, TRE COLLWYN, in the Cwmwd of Maenor Glynn Ogwr, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Ogmore),County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a discharged Vicarage, valued in the King's Books at £6..6..8; Patron, David Thomas, Esq.: Church dedicated to St. Michael. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 235. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in1803, was £101..6..10, at 1s. 6d. per acre. It is 4 m. W. N. W. from Cowbridge. This Parish contains between fourteen and fifteen hundred acres of inclosed Land, and 60 acres of common Pasture, called The Golden Mile. According to the Diocesan Report, in 1809, the yearly value of this Benefice, arising from Vicarial Tythes, and Augmentation, was £111..18..0. " From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.
"COLWINSTONE, or TRE GOLWEN, a parish in the hundred of OGMORE, County Of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 4 miles (W. by N.) from Cowbridge, containing 338 inhabitants. This parish contains some lead-ore, but the mines are not worked. A large tract of waste ground within its limits, called " Golden Mile," extending about a mile along the turnpike road from Cowbridge to Swansea, is noted for its fine pasturage, and numerous flocks of sheep are fed on it and the surrounding lands. Pwll y Wrach, the property of the Rev. Mr. Thomas, and now the residence of T. Coulthard, Esq., is a respectable well-built mansion, pleasantly situated within the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf, rated in the king's books at £6. 6. 8.; endowed with £400 private benefaction, and £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Rev. Robert Thomas. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. There are places of worship for Wesleyan Methodists and Presbyterians. On the Golden Mile common is a tumulus ; and in a field near it, on the road side, are vestiges of a small Roman camp; on the other side of the common are also traces of another small encampment; from which circumstances the Roman Julia strata Maritima is supposed to have passed near the course of the present turnpike road. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £ 143. 13." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833)