In 1868, the parish of Glyncorrwg contained the following places:
"GLYNCORRWG, a parish in the hundred of Neath, county Glamorgan, 8 miles N.E. of Neath, its post town. The village is situated in a vale watered by the river Afon, but the district is mountainous, Carn Moesen, in this parish, being the greatest elevation in the county. Coal and iron are obtained. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Llandaff, value with the curacy of Blaengwrach annexed, £90. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist."
"BLAENGWRACH, a chapelry in the parish of Glyncorrwg, hundred of Neath, in the county of Glamorgan, South Wales, 11 miles to the E. of Meath. It is situated at the head of the romantic and beautiful Vale of Neath, at the source of the river Gwrach. The neighbouring copper and iron mines employ many of the inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to that of Glyncorrwg, in the diocese of Llandaff: There is a chapel belonging to the Independents, which is one of the oldest in Wales. The principal residence is Ynislaes, the property of the Earl of Dunraven and Mountearl. The village was the birthplace of Dr. Rees, editor of the well-known "Encyclopaedia," whose father, Lewis Rees, was minister of the Independent chapel here."