Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Llanblethian

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.


Primary tabs

"LLAN BLEIDDIAN, in the Cwmwd of Maenor Glynn Ogwr, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Ogmore), Co. of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a discharged Vicarage, with the Chapel of Cowbridge, valued in the King's Books at £10..3..4: Patrons, The Dean and Chapter of Gloucester: Church dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 475. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £166..18..6 1/2, at 1s. 9d. per acre to the Poor, and at 4 1/2d. per pound to the Highways. It is 1 m. S. W. from Cowbridge. This Parish contains about 3000 acres of Land; of which, five or six Hundred are uniclosed and uncultivated. It is a remarkably pleasant Village, situate upon Lime-stone. In the division of Glamorgan by the Norman Adventurers, the Lordship of Llan Bleiddian the Great, and the privileged Town of Pont Faen, were given to Robert de St. Quintin, whose Castle is now in ruins. From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.




References to Llanblethian in the British Library

Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.

Llanblethian Buildings and People. Published by Cowbridge Record Society 2002 - ISBN 0 9537029 2 8. Indexed by Phil Mustoe



Indexed transcription of monumental inscriptions at St. John the Baptist Llanblethian Churchyard, by Phil Mustoe.

The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-

  • Parish Church of St. John the Baptist



A complete transcription of the 1851 census for Llanblethian has been provided by Phil Mustoe


Church History

Chapels Database - a list of all known non-conformist chapels or other non-Anglican religions in the parish


Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and is in the Benefice of Cowbridge Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be found at grid reference SS985741.

Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
Baptisms Marriages Burials Banns Bishops Transcripts
1661-1694, 1734-1893 1664-1689, 1734-1971 1661-1696, 1734-1893 1823-1919 1696, 1721, 1723-31, 1733-45, 1747-1837

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llanblethian Ecclesiastical Parish records      " ........ including registers of baptisms, 1661-1992; marriages, 1664-1971; burials, 1661-1893; banns, 1823-1990; confirmations, 1904-1955; services, 1914-1954; churchwardens accounts, 1826-1960; pictoral records, 19th century; records of charities, 1880-1890; church affairs, 1968-1990; parochial and civil records, 1859-1994"

The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-

  • Llanblethian, St. John the Baptist - Christenings (BT's), 1661-1694, 1696-1822
  • Llanblethian, Maendy Independent Chapel - Christenings, 1802-1837

Transcription of the Roll of Honour at Cowbridge Church for 1914-1918 war


Description and Travel

Places, villages, farms etc within Llanblethian as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Glenys Travis)

  • Llanblethian [122] - Aberthin, Afon Ddawan, Breach, Bryn-hyfryd, Castle (Remains of) near Llwyn Celyn AM, Court Fm, Cross AM, Cross Inn, Cross near St Hilary Down AM, Crossways, Devils Pool & Knee, East Village, Factory Brook, Hensol, Llanblethian or Quentin's Castle (remains of) AM, Llanblethian, Llwyn celyn, Maendy, Marlborough Grange, New Meads, Newhouse, Newton Ho, Newton Moor, Pant y lladron, Pen-cyrn, Pen-y-lan, Primrosehill, Slade, Stalling Down (Site of Battle 1401), Tre Betin, Tre rhingyll, Tumulus AM, Ty'n-y-caeau, West Village.

Description of parish from A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis.

Llanblethian & Llandough - on

Conservation areas within the Vale of Glamorgan. See Aberthin & Llanblethian - "Conservation areas are areas of special architectural or historic interest, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance"

You can see pictures of Llanblethian which are provided by:



Transcript of name listing for Cowbridge, and neighbouring parishes from Commercial and Trade Directories, for the years:-


1844 (Slaters Directory)   1850 (Slaters Directory)
1858-1859 (Slaters Directory)   1871 (Post Office Directory)
1880 (Slaters Directory)   1895 (Kellys Directory)


The transcription of the section for Llanblethian from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llanblethian to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.


Historical Geography

Some of the hamlets, towns and villages within this parish

  • Penylan
  • Stallingdown

You can see the administrative areas in which Llanblethian has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



Description and image of St. Quentin's Castle, Llanbleddian at by Jeff Thomas

St Quintin's Castle, 1988 - on People's Collection Wales


Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llanblethian (The Causeway) deeds   1715-c1900         "The row of houses known as Causeway Cottages stands on land which was in the possession of David Tristham in the 1690s. When the current cottages were built is uncertain, but they appear in the 1841 census enumerator's returns. Despite the proximity of the cottages to the former Llanblethian woollen factory, there is no evidence to suggest that their owners or inhabitants had any direct connection with the weaving industry. The row seems to have been built as accommodation for artisans and agricultural workers"


The Population of Llanbleddian was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.

1831-670 1841-724 1851-767 1861-753 1871-756 1881-724 1891-768

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llanblethian Civil Parish records    " ........ including tithe account book, 1841; tithe plan and apportionment, 1841"