Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for LLANGYFELACH

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

LLANGYFELACH

In 1868, the parish of Llangyfelach contained the following places:

"LLANGYFELACH, (or Llangyfelach) a parish in the hundred of the same name, county Glamorgan, 3 miles N. of Swansea, its post town, and 7 W. of Neath. It is situated in the vicinity of the river Tawe, and includes the townships of Morriston, Mawr, Penderry, and Rhyndwy Clydach, and the hamlet of Close. The South Wales railway has a station at Swansea. A battle was fought here in 990, in which Howel, Prince of South Wales, was defeated. This was formerly, a demesne of Brecon College, and is a very populous parish, containing above 10,000 persons. Numerous copper-works and collieries give employment to the inhabitants. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's, value with the curacy of Gorseinon annexed, £300, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Cyvelach, is a modern edifice, affixed to the tower of the former one. It has monuments to the Llewellyn family. There are also two district churches, the one at Clydach, and the other at Morriston; the livings of both are perpetual curacies, value respectively, £150 and £85. The Independents, Wesleyans, and Calvinistic Methodists, have places of worship. The parochial charities amount to nearly £30 per annum. In the neighbourhood some Roman remains have been met with. A fair is held on the 1st March.

"CLASE, a hamlet in the parish and hundred of Llangyfelach, in the county of Glamorgan, South Wales, 3 miles N. of Swansea."

"LANDORE, a railway station on the South Wales section of the Great Western railway, in the parish of Llangyfelach, county Glamorgan, 2 miles from Swansea."

"MAWR, a hamlet in the parish and hundred of Llangyfelach, county Glamorgan, 7 miles N. of Swansea. It is situated near the Via Julia. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the pits."

"PENDERRY, a hamlet in the parish and hundred of Llangyfelach, county Glamorgan, 4 miles N. of Swansea."

"RHYNDWRY CLYDACH, a hamlet in the parish and hundred of Llangyfelach, county Glamorgan, 6 miles N. of Swansea. The inhabitants are engaged in the collieries and iron-works; from the latter there is a line of rail leading to the canal."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018