Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for NEWCASTLE

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

NEWCASTLE

In 1868, the parish of Newcastle contained the following places:

"NEWCASTLE, a parish in the hundred of Newcastle, county Glamorgan, 10 miles from Llantrisant, and adjoining Bridgend, its post town. It is situated on the river Ogmore, and contains the hamlets of Upper and Lower Newcastle, Aberkenfigg, Angeltown, and Pen-y-vae. In the neighbourhood are the ruins of a castle. The living is a vicarage* with the curacies of Bettws, Laleston, and Tythegston annexed, in the diocese of Llandaff, value £360. The church is dedicated to St. Illtyd."

"ABERKENFIGG, a village in the township of Higher Newcastle, parish and hundred of Newcastle, in the county of Glamorgan, South Wales, near Bridgend."

"ANGELTOWN, a village in the higher township of Newcastle, in the parish of Newcastle, hundred of Newcastle, in the county of Glamorgan, South Wales, not far from Bridgend."

"BRIDGEND, a market town in the parishes of Coity and Newcastle, hundred of Newcastle, in the county of Glamorgan, South Wales, 20 miles to the W. of Cardiff, and 180 miles from London. It is a station on the South Wales railway. The town is seated in a fertile and pleasant country on both banks of the river Ogmore, which is here crossed by two stone bridges, one a handsome structure of three arches and of modern date. The two parts of the town are distinguished by the names Oldcastle and Newcastle. There is one principal street, irregularly built, and some good residences in the neighbourhood. Freestone is quarried near the town. A branch railway connects the town with the great collieries and iron-works in the vicinity, and with the harbour of Porthcawl, 5 miles distant. There are a townhall and a savings bank. Bridgend with Cowbridge is the head of a Poorlaw Union and a County Court district. The election for the county takes place here, and petty sessions are held weekly. The town contains the Union poorhouse. The parish church of Newcastle stands in the west quarter of the town, and a chapel of ease to Coity in the east quarter, or Oldcastle. There are chapels belonging to the Baptists, Independents, Methodists, and Unitarians, the latter having a small endowment. A National school is supported by subscription. Two castles existed here formerly. Bridgend was the birthplace of George C. Morgan, nephew of Dr. Price, and a writer and lecturer on Natural Philosophy. Trout and salmon are found in the river Ogmore."

"PENYVAE, a hamlet in the parish of Newcastle, county Glamorgan, 2 miles from Bridgend. It is situated near the river Ogmore."

"SUTTON, a hamlet in the parishes of Coity and Newcastle, county Glamorgan, 3 miles S.W. of Bridgend. It is situated at the mouth of the river Ogmore, and has a quarry of good limestone."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018