In 1868, the parish of Newton Nottage contained the following places:
"NEWTON-NOTTAGE, a parish in the hundred of Newcastle, county Glamorgan, 5 miles S.W. of Bridgend, its post town. It is a decayed bathing village, situated on the Bristol Channel, and contains Nottage and Porthcawl harbour, where the Llynvi railway terminates. On Newton Downs are traces of a Roman road. The high grounds behind the village command extensive views over the channel. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff; value £375. The church is an ancient structure, dedicated to St. John the Baptist. In the interior is a stone pulpit, and in the churchyard is an inscribed stone, near which is a spring, which only flows at the ebb of the tide. The parsonage at Nottage is of great antiquity, and was restored by the late Rev. H. Knight. In this house Queen Anne Boleyn was once a guest."
"NOTTAGE, a hamlet in the parish of Newton-Nottage, county Glamorgan, 6 miles W. by S. of Bridgend."
"PORTHCAWL, a small harbour on the Bristol Channel, in the parish of Newton Nottage, county Glamorgan, 5½ miles W. by S. of Bridgend. It is the terminus of the Llynvi Valley rail, which brings down coal and iron to the pier to be shipped. The harbour has from 12 to 20 fathoms water."