"BRIDE'S (ST.) MINOR, a parish partly in the hundred of NEWCASTLE, and partly in that of OGMORE, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 2 miles (N.) from Bridgend, containing 306 inhabitants. This parish is pleasantly situated on the river Ogmore, which, after running through it in a southerly direction, unites with the river Ewenny at its influx into the Bristol channel. The lands, with the exception of a comparatively small portion, are enclosed and in a good state of cultivation; and the surrounding country, which is in many parts highly picturesque, affords some pleasing mountain scenery and some interesting views. The soil is various, and coal of good quality is found in divers parts of the parish, and is worked with considerable success, affording employment to such of the inhabitants as are not engaged in agriculture. A tram-road front the coalworks in the neighbourhood passes through the parish, and communicates with the Bridgend and Porthcawl rail-road, by means of which the produce of the Works is conveyed to its destination. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf, rated in the king's books at £ 5. 3. 6 1/2., and in the patronage of the Earl of Dunraven. The church, dedicated to St. Bride, is a small neat building. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to £ 103. 10. "(A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) ) by Samuel Lewis
"YNYSA-WDRE (YNYS-Y-NAWDREF), a hamlet, in the parish of ST-BRIDE'S-MINOR, union of BRIDGEND-AND-COWBRIDGE, hundred of OGMORE, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 9 miles (N.) from Bridgend; containing 117 inhabitants. This township, of which the name means "the Isle of nine habitations," is situated on the banks of the Ogmore, and is a distinct place, supporting its poor and appointing its own officers, but paying church-rates conjointly with the parish of St. Bride's-Minor, to which it is contiguous, being only separated by the river. It forms a part of the liberty of Ogmore, is within the jurisdiction of its coroner, and pays all fees and fealty to the lord of Ogmore manor. Here is a day school, in which about 25 ehildren are instructed at the expense of their parents." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833 © Mel Lockie 2016]
Places, villages, farms etc within St Brides Minoras shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)
- St Brides Minor (91); Abergarw; Brick Works; Bryncethin (village); Bryn-coch; Bryn Quills; Cefn Carfan; Cefncarfan-isaf; Coal Level; Cymdda; GWR; GWR Cardiff & Ogmore; Hendre-post; Heol-laethog; Hirwaun Common; Hospital; Lan; Ogmore (Ogwr) River; Ogmore (Ogwr) Valley; Pistyll-arian; Reservoir; Sarn fawr; St Brides Minor; Tir Isaf; Typica; Wern-dew; Ynys-las; Ynys-las-isaf;
- Ynysawdre (92); Brynmenin; Colliery; Ogmore (Ogwr) Valley; Tondu (village); Ynysawdre.
You can see pictures of St Brides Minor which are provided by: