Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Pen-Boyr

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Pen-Boyr

"PENBOYR (PEN-BOYR), a parish, in the union of NEWCASTLE-EMLYN, higher division of the hundred of ELVET, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 4 miles (S.E.) from Newcastle-Emlyn; containing 1375 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated in the north-western part of the county . . . contains a large tract of arable and pasture land, inclosed and cultivated, the whole comprising 5600 acres, of which 3000 are arable, 2000 meadow or pasture, and 600 wood. The surface is hilly, in some parts mountainous, and in others picturesque . . . the crops chiefly consisting of wheat, barley, and oats; the prevailing timber is oak and ash. . . The church, dedicated to St. Llawddog, a very ancient building in a delapidated state, was taken down and rebuilt from the ground, in 1809 . . . There is a chapel of ease in the parish, called Trinity Chapel in which service is performed . . . About 60 children are educated in a day school, at the expense of their parents; and two Sunday schools, one in connexion with the Established Church, and the other with Calvinistic Methodists, afford instruction to about 120 males and females. The churchyard is supposed to occupy part of the site of a Roman camp; a pot of Roman coins was found in the neighbourhood, not many years ago, and part of an ancient road and other traces of of Roman occupation have been found in the parish. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]

Business and Commerce Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Bargod Woollen Mills, Drefach-Felindre, records [1875]-1975 (mainly 1875-1924) "Bargod Woollen Mills was a woollen manufacturer located in Drefach-Felindre, Penboyr, Carmarthenshire, and was run by John Jones ...."

Census

1841 census of Penboyr - transcription by Alan Jones

1851 census of Penboyr - transcription by Alan Jones

1891 census of Penboyr - transcription by Alan Jones

    Church History

    Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

    • Penboyr Parish Church Built about the year 1809 at the sole expense of the Rev Archdeacon Beynon, the Rector Thomas Evans, Curate
    • Trinity chapel Chapel of Ease under Penboyr "Licensed 1 Jan 1800 'Doubtful whether ever consecrated' " Thomas Evans, Clerk
    • Soar Dissenters or Independents Erected in 1835 Evan Beynon, Elder Deacon, Penrhiw Trial, Penboyr
    • Pantybwlch Welsh CM Erected in 1834 "Building used occasionally for a Day School" John Jones, Minister

    Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books).

    • St Llawddog & St Barnabas
    • Incumbent and Curates; T Thomas
    • Rural Deanery of Emlyn
    • Acreage 6,936; Population 1,284

      Church Records

      Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site

      Parish registers: Christenings (1752-1901), Marriages (1752-1970), and Burials (1752-1947), with Marriages at St Barnabas (1907-64), are at the National Library of Wales with Mf copies [except St Barnabas] at Carm.RO

      Copy ts PR index CB (1813-75) M (1752-1970) St Barnabas M (1876-1970) at NLW and Carm.RO

      Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1674-6, 1678-89, 1701, 1703, 1799-1812, 1819, 1823-6, 1828-80, 1882) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS

      Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 15 - Elvet Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)

      See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

      Nonconformist Chapels:

      • Pantybwlch (Calvinistic Methodist, 1832), Pantybwlch SN32493685 Built 1835 & rebuilt/modified 1888 Still open 1975 Coflein
      • Soar (Independent, 1836), Cwmpengraig SN34863666 Built 1836, enlarged 1859 & rebuilt/modified 1895 Coflein Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
        Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (Jan 2009)
      • Tabernacl Ind chapel, Pentrecagal SN33924020 Built 1884 Coflein Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)

      Parish Church photograph and basic information from Dyfed FHS.

      Description and Travel

      The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

      • Area 6876 acres; Population 586 males, 685 females, total 1271

      Places, villages, farms etc within Pen-Boyr as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

      • Pen-Boyr (39); Aber Arad; Aber-lleinau; Afon Teifi; Blaen-Bargod; Blaen-halen; Blaen-nant-gwyn; Bwlch-y-domen; Carn Wern; Cilforest; Cilwen; Crug-cynfarch; Crug Perfa; Crug Tarw; Crug y Ddalfa; Crug y Gorllwyn; Cryngae; Cwm-Bran; Cwm-hiraeth; Cwm-pengraig (village); Dinas Bran; Dolhaidd; Domen Llawddog; Domen Seba; Ffrydiau-gwynion; Gelli-gynar; Gorllwyn; Nant Bargod; Penboyr; Pen-clawdd-uchaf; Pen-llan-fawr; Pen-llwyn; Pen-llwyn-coch-fawr; Pen-y-parc; Pen-yr-allt; Pentre-cagal; Pentre-dre-felin; Rhuddgoedfawr; Velindre (village); Waun-fawr; Waun Gilwen
        You can see pictures of Pen-Boyr which are provided by:

        Genealogy

        Griffiths, John & Mary. GRIFFITHS of CMN and PEM. Dyfed FHS journal (3/333) . Traces the descendants of Isaac Griffiths, miller of Landshipping, and David Griffith, farm labourer of Penboyr, to Merthyr Tydfil in the 19th century.

        Historical Geography

        You can see the administrative areas in which Pen-Boyr has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

        Ask for a calculation of the distance from Pen-Boyr to another place.

        History

        Jones, D.E. Hanes Plwyfi Llangeler a Phenboyr (1899) [History of Llangeler and Pen-Boyr parishes], Llandysul, J.D. Lewis, Gomerian Press (Facsimile reprint - Caerfyrddin: Adran Gwasanaethau Diwylliannol, Cyngor Sir Dyfedt, 1994) (1899) ii,423,xviip,[1] leaf of plates: il, map; 20cm. ISBN 0860750922. Here is an Index by Sian Bowi

        Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish

        Maps

        You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN358363 (Lat/Lon: 52.000758, -4.393436), Pen-Boyr which are provided by: